Friday, September 25, 2009

The Keeper of My Heart

We have been together for 1,576 days. If I was better at math, I could have figured that out without using a calculator. Don't even ask for a breakdown of the years and months. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

There has been a whirlwind of drama around us lately; trying to tear down our foundation. It is hard to keep the resolve to stay together when splitting up would seem to be so much more simple. We don't often opt for the easy road in life, and this is just another example of that.

We've said terrible things. Hurtful things. There have been times that I saw nothing of the man that I once married. I carried all of those times with me, little wounds in my soul.

Last night, I looked down at him and saw the perfection that I once saw. It becomes more clear with each passing day. I feel as if a fog is lifting from our hearts and we will soon be able to see just exactly why we stood at that altar so many days ago.

I've always known I was blessed. My children are proof that we are made in God's image. I cannot believe it has taken until very recently for me to see how blessed my marriage has made me. I cannot resent for things said in the past, I can only love him more because it has made us stronger.

I love him.

2 comments:

  1. that is so beautiful. i wonder how many couples out there can relate to your words. they give me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marriage is hard. You'll go through this many more times. 13.5 years has brought us lots of ups and downs. You just have to keep moving forward and try not to dwell in the now.

    ReplyDelete